The Manager has a key role in the execution of communication strategies that increase the awareness and relevance of Stand Up To Cancer among key audiences and the general public.
The Manager’s core responsibilities include writing, editing and materials development, media relations, and supporting the SVP Communications and other senior team members in ongoing media relations efforts.
About Stand Up To Cancer
Stand Up To Cancer® (SU2C) raises funds to accelerate the pace of research to get new therapies to patients quickly and save lives now. SU2C, a division of the Entertainment Industry Foundation, a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, was established in 2008 by media and entertainment leaders who utilize these communities’ resources to engage the public in supporting a new, collaborative model of cancer research, to increase awareness about cancer prevention, and to highlight progress being made in the fight against the disease. As of August 2020, more than 1,950 scientists representing more than 210 institutions are involved in SU2C-funded research projects.
Under the direction of our Scientific Advisory Committee, led by Nobel laureate Phillip A. Sharp, Ph.D., SU2C operates rigorous competitive review processes to identify the best research proposals to recommend for funding, oversee grants administration, and ensure collaboration across research programs.
Current members of the SU2C Council of Founders and Advisors (CFA) include Katie Couric, Sherry Lansing, Kathleen Lobb, Lisa Paulsen, Rusty Robertson, Sue Schwartz, Pamela Oas Williams, and Ellen Ziffren. The late Laura Ziskin and the late Noreen Fraser are also co-founders. Sung Poblete, Ph.D., R.N., serves as SU2C’s CEO. For more information, visit StandUpToCancer.org.
• Support the communications team in the development and implementation of PR and media campaigns to drive greater awareness of SU2C nationally, with an emphasis on telling our science story to the public.
• Identify and vet impact stories of researchers, patients, survivors, and donors to bring SU2C’s story to life.
• Develop high-quality written materials, including press releases, media strategies, talking points, key messaging etc.
• Direct proactive press relations: identify, establish, & maintain personal relationships w/ key contacts in health/science and philanthropic “trade” press and relevant national and regional broadcast and print outlets.
• Assist other members of communications team with managing and maximizing coverage of PSAs, cause-related marketing spots, grassroots initiatives, awareness months, events, key science developments, and other key initiatives.
• Manage research and develop executive summaries on multiple topics as directed by SVP Communications.
• Manage and maintain several robust media databases.
• Manage distribution of press releases and other materials.• Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• A minimum of 5 years in a communications/public relations function; non-profit or healthcare experience a must. PR agency experience, a plus.
• Strong media relationships with science, health and medical editors/reporters at national, regional and trade media outlets..
• Proven, excellent communication skills – written and verbal; strong interpersonal skills.
• Strong understanding of the healthcare industry and experience working in a health-related communications function..
• Highly collaborative style; positive attitude and strong work ethic.
Other Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to multi-task and problem solve while maintaining extreme attention to detail.
• Capability to take direction and be flexible while working both independently and with others.
• Excellent judgment.
• The ability to prioritize multiple tasks as they are presented. The ability to work in a fast paced, deadline-driven environment and refocus as the job and situations demand.
• The ability to work within a team and establish strong working relationships with individuals of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
• Experience with Cision and Muck Rack.
• Ability to operate standard computer software applications including Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Strong skills in Excel and PowerPoint desired.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.