Position is temporary with the organization’s option to extend as needed. Candidates based in either Los Angeles or New York will be considered.
The Communications Writer reports to the head of Communications and will be responsible for writing and editing content for both external and internal audiences, based on information gathering, as well as collaboration with applicable individuals/departments. The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in science and healthcare, with previous experience requiring an understanding of medical and life sciences terminology, and the ability to quickly grasp and translate complex scientific issues to tell a story in simple, straightforward, consumer-facing language.
- Responsible for the effective development and delivery of a wide range of communications for internal and external audiences.
- Write and edit content concerning a variety of topics that involve SU2C and its community, its work and functions, through press releases, messaging, talking points, op-eds, speeches, and other materials, as required.
- Collaborates with other departments to foster efficient, consistent and timely communications.
- Drive the creation of original concepts that result in effective and compelling communication.
- Understand different language styles that appeal to various target markets, including: consumer, corporate, scientific, patients/caregivers/advocates and multi-cultural including black, Hispanic and Asian.
- Ensures all materials meet internal and external legal standards and follows appropriate SU2C standards and guidelines.
- Maintain a clear and consistent brand voice that effectively represents SU2C internally and externally.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications or English required.
- A minimum of 7 years-experience writing for the private or public sector.
- Exceptionally strong writing/editing and verbal communications skills.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to multi-task and problem solve while maintaining extreme attention to detail.
- Capability to take direction and be flexible while working both independently and with others.
- Excellent judgment.
- The ability to prioritize multiple tasks as they are presented. The ability to work in a fast paced, deadline-driven environment and refocus as the job and situations demand.
- The ability to work within a team and establish strong working relationships with individuals of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
- Ability to operate standard computer software applications including Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.